Well, let me start by saying Happy New Year. Can you believe it is already 2007? It really is hard to believe sometimes how time flies and how many movies have come and gone. So here we are looking ahead to the next quarter of films that are on the slate for the new year.
- Code Name: The Cleaner - Why do they keep making these action comedies? This one stars Cedric the Entertainer who gets amnesia and then believes he is a secret agent. Come on, really? this is just getting ridiculous.
- Freedom Writers – This looks kind of like Dangerous Minds, but instead of Michelle Pfeiffer, we have Hillary Swank. It could be a good film. It may be one of those cases where it wasn’t quite up to Oscar caliber, so they decided to release it when there wouldn’t be as much competition.
- Happily N’Ever After - This could be surprisingly good. Anything with Patrick Warburton is automatic comedy in my book. The guy is a hoot. It is from the Producer of Shrek, so it has a chance.
- Alpha Dog – So Justin Timberlake finally got a major acting gig huh? There are a lot of really good actors in this film, the big question is whether Timberlake kills the film. The trailer looks pretty good actually, but I am just nervous about it.
- Stomp the Yard – You have got to be kidding me. Another dance movie? Holy geez. This one adds in the college culture just so that we can be sure it isn’t aimed at adults.
- The Hitcher – A remake of a scary film about a hitchhiker. It has Sean Bean in it and Sophia Bush. So it has promise, but with it coming out in January, I won’t put it on too high a pedestal.
- Blood and Chocolate - Vampire movies have their place in the spring, and this one fills that spot. It may be about Werewolves, but it feels like the Underworld movie that it has its place with.
- Catch and Release – Oh gracious, I guess it is time for popcorn date movies huh? Well, Jennifer Garner had to be something I guess.
- Epic Movie – This film will fit right in here in the spring when nothing is out. It is another one of those like scary movie and date movie that is a spoof of the current movie and pop culture. If you keep going, they keep making them. Don’t feed the cycle.
- Smokin’ Aces – I really like the look of this film. It looks really good. Like a good action movie with a lot of a-list actors. I have to say, this is my pick for the week.
- Because I Said So – Ladies, take your girlfriends to see this one. It is a chick flick through and through.
- The Messengers – Kids in freaky movies are always really wierd. This one is no different. It is kind of freaky thinking about kids seeing stuff when everyone else doesn’t. Not cool man, not cool.
- Rogue – You’re kidding me. No trailer and it is only a month away from release? I have nothing to say.
- Hannibal Rising – The prequel to the prequel of Silence of the Lambs. It really looks like a chilling movie.
- Norbit – It’s Eddie Murphy doing his thing. He dresses up as different characters and tries his best for laughs. The trailer looks cute, but how will the actual movie be?
- Music and Lyrics – Hugh Grant, what are you doing with your career? He has put out some really good films actually, but I doubt this will be one of them. It looks really bad. I hope I am wrong, but I seriously doubt it.
- Tyler Perry’s Daddy’s Little Girls – Another Tyler Perry movie? If you like his stuff, this is right up your alley. I personally am not a fan.
- Breach – Ryan Phillippe, Chris Cooper and Laura Linney in a thriller about the government and espionage. The trailer looks really good. Ryan Phillippe can act, and Cooper and Linney have been on top of thier game for years. This looks like it may be a quality movie after all.
- Bridge to Terabithia – It’s like Narnia, but not as good and with not as near as big of a following.
- Ghost Rider – Spring is the stomping ground for comic book movies that aren’t up to blockbuster standards. This one stars Nicholas Cage. I am hopeful that I will like this one. It looks really cool. And the special effects look really good.
- The Astronaut Farmer – Billy Bob Thornton is trying to build a rocket to put himself into space. I am doubting how good this film is going to be, but we will have to wait and see.
- Black Snake Moan – There isn’t a trailer yet, but this film looks super cool. I am completely excited about this movie. I can’t wait to see some clips from the film.
- Gray Matters – No trailer yet on this one either. It has a nice cast of Sissy Spacek, Alan Cumming, Heather Graham and James Madsen. I will have to reserve judgement til I see some footage though.
- The Number 23 – Jim Carrey has taken some odd roles and is going more in the way of serious roles. This is a thriller drama type movie that could be really good. But I haven’t liked most of Carrey’s serious work so I doubt I will like this one.
- Reno 911!: Miami – I don’t like the TV show. it is just wierd to me. But this movie looks really funny. I don’t know what is different, but I do like the look of this film.
- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford – I make no secret of the fact that I think Brad Pitt is one of the best actors out there. And this trailer gets me excited about the film. But the fact that it is in spring and they still haven’t set a real date makes me think this thing is going to be atrocious. Here’s hoping it’s not.
- Full of It – No trailer yet. Looks like a teen movie though. So maybe they will have an idea as to whether this sounds good.
- The Hills Have Eyes 2 – I swear, if a scary movie makes about 20 million total, it gets a sequel. More of the same in this one.
- Wild Hogs – John Travolta, William H. Macy, Martin Lawrence, and Tim Allen riding Harleys. What happened to these guys’ careers? I think they took a slow ride.
- Zodiac – Really high quality cast and a really neat looking film. I think this one looks extremely interesting.
- 300 – Looks freaking ridiculously amazing. I can’t believe how cool this movie looks. Gets me pumped just watching the trailer.
- Fast Track – Zach Braff’s new film looks really funny. I like the way this looks.
- Fido – There isn’t a trailer out for this, but there is a clip up that looks like this film is going to be a lot of fun. I mean, having a zombie as a housepet. Good concept.
- Reign Over Me – What a good trailer that is. Don Cheadle and Adam Sandler star in a film about a man who loses his way and tries to find it through an old friend. It has me intrigued.
- I Think I Love My Wife – Chris Rock is a funny guy, but he is not a good actor. And this just solidifes that statement.
- Lucky You – Eric Bana and Robert Duvall in a film about poker. Not really my cup of tea, but it might be good.
- The Pleasure of Your Company – No trailer, but a good cast in this comedy. Isla Fisher, Jason Biggs and Joe Pantoliano star.
- Premonition – Another movie to fall between the cracks. Sandra Bullock stars in a film about the supernatural and the difference between reality and the dream world.
- Shooter – Mark Wahlberg’s new film. It looks like a mix between Commando and U.S. Marshalls.
- Dead Silence – No Trailer yet, but let me just say that if one of the things that you want to advertise is that it is from the same people who brought you Saw, then you don’t have much to go on. This does not look like my type of movie.
- First Snow – Looks interesting, especially with Guy Pearce in it, but the trailer just kind of leaves me expecting more, so I don’t expect too much out of it.
- The Last Mimzy – I am not really sure about this one. It looks like a magic type of movie. And it has a toy bunny that is alive or something. I don’t know. I am not really sure what this one is truly about.
- Pride – Couldn’t get the trailer to work for me, so I don’t know too much about it. It has some good actors in it, so it has a chance just on that. And it is about a real life story, so there is a draw. So it could be good. I just need another trailer so that I can see for myself exactly what is going on.
- TMNT – You have no idea how big of a Ninja Turtles fan I was back in the day. This gets me so excited. I know a lot of people who have said that they don’t like it because it isn’t dark enough. But it isn’t supposed to be dark. These are the turtles that I have known for years so I am very pumped about this one.
- Blades of Glory – Will Ferrell and Jon Heder on skates, beautiful.
- Meet the Robinsons – This actually looks alright. There are some really funny moments in the trailer. Like with the dinosaur’s small arms. Brilliant.
- The Reaping – This looks like a very wierd movie starring Hilary Swank and is about some strange stuff going on in a small town. If you like scary movies, this one’s for you.
- Rescue Dawn – Anything Christian Bale touches turns to gold these days. And this one is no different. He really escalates everyone around him in every movie he is in. I really like the look of this trailer. It gets me really pumped for the actual film about a pilot who was shot down during Vietnam.
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters – Aqua Teen Hunger Force is one of those shows where you either love it or hate it. I think it is hilarious so I think this will just step over the boundaries that TV puts on it and put it over the edge of funny.